Nurse License application process
We start processing your application as soon as we get it.
If your application is complete (with all documents and fees) it should take about 7 business days for us to process.
Some applications and situations will take longer:
- Applications missing information or supporting documents.
- Applications with special circumstances.
- Higher number of applications than usual.
Step 1: Application Submitted (1-3 days)
- We receive the application and fee.
- We input paper application information into our licensing system (online applications are processed faster!).
- DOH processes the application fee.
Step 2: Application Intake (1-2 days)
- We verify the application information in our licensing system (IRLS).
- We email FBI fingerprint instructions to applicants with out-of-state addresses.
Step 3: Background Check (1-2 days)
- We conduct a criminal background check on all applications.
Step 4: Review (1-3* days)
- We review the application at the corresponding review desk (International, Exam, Endorsement, ARNP, etc.).
- If we find the application is missing anything, or have questions, we send an email to the applicant. This delays the process time.
*We will try several times to contact you by email. If we don’t get a response, we will close your application and you must start over.
Step 5: Final Review (1-2 days)
- Once all requirements are met, we forward the application to the final review desk.
- We forward Exception applications to Nurse Discipline for approval or denial.
Step 6: Active License or Temporary Practice Permit Issued!
- We may issue a Temporary Practice Permit while the FBI Background is pending.
- Once the FBI Background is cleared, we issue your license. You are now licensed in Washington!