Skip to main content

We've changed our name!

We are now the Washington State Board of Nursing (WABON). Learn more about our name change...

RN or LPN Endorsement (already licensed in another state)

Multistate License (MSL)

Washington joined the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) in 2023.

  • We are implementing a Washington state multistate license (MSL) in 2 phases.

Phase 1: Out-of-state MSL can practice in Washington state

As of July 24, 2023 nurses with an active MSL from another state can practice in Washington state.

Phase 2: Washington nurses will be able to apply for a MSL

We are in process of implementing phase 2. 

Apply for Washington state license via Endorsement

Educated outside the USA

If you got your initial nursing education outside of the United States, go to the Educated outside the United States page first.

Steps to apply

  1. Make sure you meet all requirements
    1. Have an active RN or LPN license in another state
    2. Or complete an approved refresher course
  2. Complete your verification of your initial license in the United States sent to Washington state
  3. Get your forms signed and ready to upload
  4. Complete an online application
  5. Pay application fee online
  6. Attach required forms and documents
    • Any “yes” responses to personal data questions must have supporting documents, such as court documents and written statements.
  7. Submit your application

We will email you if we need anything or have issues with your application.

Submitting forms and documents

  • You have 14 days after you submit your application to upload your documents online. 
  • After 14 days you won’t be able to access your application though SAW.  
  • If you have more documents to submit after 14 days, please email them to


To apply by endorsement you need to:

  • Have an active RN or LPN license in another state
  • Verify your initial license in the United States
  • Verify active practice employment hours (this applies to non-traditional nursing education programs only)

Active License in another State

You need to have an active license in order to apply by endorsement.

If you don't have an active license in another state, you must complete a board approved refresher program. Please indicate on the application if you are enrolled in a refresher program.

Verification of another US State License

Verify initial license in the United States

To apply by endorsement we need to verify your initial license in the United States (the state you took your exam and got your first license). 

Nursys Verification

 You can use Nursys to request verification of nursing license from your original state of licensure except from the following states: Pennsylvania, and California (Note: California verifies licensure for RNs but not LPNs)

  1. Go to 
  2. Look for the Nurse License Verification for Endorsement section and click Request Verification
  3. Read the terms and conditions and click Agree
  4. Search for your name or license number
  5. Request to have your verification sent to Washington state
  6. Pay the online verification fee

Nursys will email you a receipt confirmation. Please confirm your verification was sent to Washington state.

Request verification from Pennsylvania or California (LPNs)

Pennsylvania and California (LPNs) do not use Nursys.

If you obtained your initial license from one of these states, you must work directly with their board to request verification.

Verify active practice employment hours

If you have completed a non-traditional nursing education program, you must submit work verification of at least 1,000 hours of active nursing practice in another state.

The work verification must come directly from your current or previous employer on company letterhead and include:

  • dates employed
  • verification of hours
  • verification that you practiced in the profession in which you are applying

    Other Forms

    These forms may or may not apply to your situation. We will contact you if we need any of these forms. 

    Other Information


    We're available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.