Become a Nurse Preceptor for Student Nurses
Volunteer with your employer to become a preceptor for student nurses and get a monetary incentive for your time and effort.
Washington State Student Nurse Preceptorship Grant (WSSNPG)
The Washington legislature has set up a grant for student nurse preceptorship. This grant funds nurses who precept nursing students in health care settings.
The goals of the preceptor grant program are to:
- Help reduce a shortage of healthcare settings for students.
- Bring more nurses into the workforce.
Who is eligible?
- Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners (ARNP)
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
Requirements to be a student nurse preceptor
To be a nurse preceptor you must:
- Have an active license.
- Have at least one year of clinical or practice experience.
- Be employed at an approved practice site.
- Preceptor Education Program
- Open Education Resource
- Preceptor promotional flyer (PDF)
How to qualify for reimbursement
Information on how to get the student nurse preceptor reimbursement.
To qualify for the reimbursement, you must:
- Meet all requirements to be a student nurse preceptor.
- Volunteer to be a student nurse preceptor with your employer.
- Employer must be an approved practice site by an approved education program.
- Complete at least 80 qualifying hours of precepting clinical instruction per student.
- A student nurse preceptor may precept up to 2 students per term.
To qualify, clinical practice hours must:
- Occur in a facility approved by a Washington State nursing program.
- Out-of-state programs don't qualify, even if the clinical hours take place in Washington.
- Be in the final term of clinical for RN and LPN pre-licensure students.
- Be in any clinical for ARNP students.
How to apply for reimbursement
- Complete the Vendor/Payee Registration Form with the Office of Financial Management (OFM)
- Complete the Certification of Hours (COH) (PDF) form
- The education program will email the COH form to you when you finish precepting
- The education program will fill out the first page
- The education program Dean or Director will sign the COH form certifying the preceptor hours
- Make sure form is filled out correctly. Certification of Hours (COH) form EXAMPLE (PDF)
- Email completed COH form to PGVerifications@doh.wa.gov
- You must send the COH form by the due date listed in the Reimbursement Cycles (below).
- Statewide Vendor/Payee Services
- Vendor Registration Process-Useful Information
- Statewide Vendor Number Lookup
- Vendor/Payee Direct Deposit
- Example of a completed Certification of Hours (COH) form (PDF)
Preceptorship End Date
*Which date did your preceptorship experience end in?
Documentation Due Date
*Please email documents no later than this date
|Spring 2023||May 15 - June 15||June 15|
|Summer 2023||June 16 - August 30||August 30|
|Fall 2023||September 1 - December 20||December 30|
|Winter 2024||January 1 - March 30||March 30|
|Spring 2024||April 1 - June 15||June 15|
- What is a nursing preceptor?
A nursing preceptor is a practicing licensed nurse who provides personal instruction, training, and supervision for nursing students during clinical rotations.
- Am I eligible to precept a student?
You are eligible to precept a student if you are a licensed LPN, RN, or ARNP that meets requirements of WAC 246-840-533, and employed at an approved clinical practice site. An approved practice site is a facility with an affiliation agreement with an approved Washington state nursing educational program.
- How many times can I apply for this grant?
You can apply for this grant up to 2 times per payment cycle, for a maximum of 8 payments per year.
- I did not get my payment. What do I do?
If it has been 8 weeks or more since you submitted your paperwork you should contact the Preceptor Program directly at email@example.com.
We're available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Phone: 564-669-1016
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Preceptor Grant Team
- Victoria L Hayward, MSN, RN, CNOR, Victoria.Hayward@doh.wa.gov
- Helen Budde, Preceptor Grant Specialist, Helen.Budde@doh.wa.gov
- Judy Soeum, Administrative Assistant, Judy.Soeum@doh.wa.gov