If you want to practice nursing in Washington State, you must have a Washington State license.
Apply for a License
- Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners (ARNP)
- Registered Nurses (RN)
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
- Nursing Technicians (NTEC)
Note: We don’t process applications for Nursing Assistants. The Department of Health (DOH) does.
These situations may or may not apply to you.
If we need you to do an FBI background check, or send us your official transcripts, we will contact you.
- FBI Background Check (Fingerprints)
You may be required to submit a fingerprint background check. We will email you if required.
- After we get your application, we will email you information on how to get and send DOH your fingerprints through Live Scan or on fingerprint cards.
- You must either complete this process through a Live Scan facility in Washington State or obtain the fingerprint cards from the place you get the fingerprinting done.
- DOH completes the FBI background check through the Washington State Patrol and FBI.
- We may issue you a temporary practice permit (TPP) while we wait for the FBI background check to complete. If you are issued a TPP, you must complete the FBI background check at your earliest convenience to avoid closure of your application for licensure.
- If you are unable to locate the emailed instructions sent to you, please access the PDF copy below. Please note, you may not print these instructions to use as fingerprint cards. You must obtain fingerprint cards from your local facility.
- Official Transcripts
- If you are applying by endorsement from another U.S. state, please do not send official transcripts unless we ask for them.
- If you were educated outside of the U.S., please visit the Educated Outside the United States page for transcript requirements.
- If you are applying by exam or applying for your ARNP license we will need your official transcripts with your degree and graduation date posted.
If your school uses one of the approved electronic transcript services below, please have them send your official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Student Clearing House
If your school doesn't use an electronic transcript service, please request transcripts be mailed to the address below. Make sure your transcripts have your degree and graduation date posted.
Mail transcripts to:
Attn: Licensing Unit
Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission
PO Box 47864
Olympia, WA 98504-7864
- Name Change Information
If you previously applied for a healthcare license through the Department of Health (DOH) and then changed your name, you must update your contact information.
- Military Spouse or Domestic Partner
Under Washington State law, the spouse or state-registered domestic partner of a service member of any branch of the U.S. Military, including National Guard or Reserve, applying for a health care professional credential may be eligible for the expedited application process by submitting the following:
A copy of your spouse’s or registered domestic partner’s military transfer orders to Washington state. A copy of your marriage certificate or a copy of a state’s declaration or registration showing a state registered domestic partnership with a member of the U.S. military.