Continuing Competency Requirements
Licensed nurses in Washington must meet education and practice requirements each year.
As of June 12, 2021, the Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission (NCQAC) has reduced education and active nursing practice hour requirements for active, inactive, expired, and retired-active nurse credentials, and changed the reporting period. Changes include:
- Continuing education and active nursing practice hour renewals are now yearly.
- Active nursing practice continuing education hours changes to at least 8 hours a year.
- Active nursing practice hours changes to at least 96 hours a year.
- Retired active nursing practice continuing education hours changes to at least 8 hours a year.
- Retired active nursing practice hours changes to at least 24 hours a year (max of 90 days a year).
For more information see the Continuing Competency FAQ (PDF).
RN and LPN requirements
- 8 continuing education hours
- 96 practice hours due every year
- Complete e-Notify registration and survey online at Nursys®
- Active RN license
- 30 continuing education hours
- 15 additional continuing education hours relating to pharmacology if you have prescriptive authority
- An active certification in each area of advanced practice.
- You must submit a copy of recertification via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nurse Tech requirements
Nursing technicians are eligible to renew a nursing technician registration if the following requirements are met: