Washington state has joined the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) effective July 24, 2023.
The NLC increases access to nursing care in our state and gives Washington nurses the option to help other NLC states. This is done with a Multistate License (MSL).
We are implementing the NLC in Washington state in 2 phases:
- Phase 1: Accept nurses with an active multistate license (MSL) from other states. (Started July 24, 2023)
- Phase 2: Issue Washington state multistate licenses (MSL).
As a part of the legislation to join the NLC, we’ve also changed our name to Washington State Board of Nursing (WABON).
NLC Implementation - Phase 1
As of July 24, 2023 Registered Nurses (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) with a multistate license (MSL) from another state, can practice in Washington (Phase 1).
RN and LPN Information
To work in Washington state with an out-of-state MSL, nurses who work for mandated employers should:
- Let their employer know they have an active MSL.
- Follow the Washington Nurse Practice Act when providing care to patients in Washington.
- Complete the Suicide Prevention Training.
- Complete the Washington State Board of Nursing (WABON) MSL demographic survey.
- Work with their employer to meet employment requirements.
Mandated employers in Washington state who hire out-of-state nurses with a multistate license (MSL) must:
- Verify and report out-of-state MSL nurses to the Washington State Board of Nursing (WABON) via the Employer MSL Compliance form.
- Attest that the out-of-state MSL nurse has completed the required Suicide Prevention Training.
- Attest that the out-of-state MSL nurse has updated or submitted their demographic data via the Washington State Multistate Nurse Demographic Data Survey.
To protect public safety, we encourage all employers to report, even if not required.
Upcoming Employer webinars
We've scheduled more NLC employer information webinars. We will send out registration information soon.
- Wednesday, August 2, 2023
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, August 4, 2023
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, August 7, 2023
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Employer Multistate License (MSL) Information
- RN and LPN Multistate License (MSL) Information
- Our Name Change
- NLC Implementation Plan